Saturday, October 11, 2014

My Coming Out Letter, v.2

After some suggestions from some friends and people on reddit, I decided to revise my letter.

"Dear Mom,

Today is National Coming Out Day, and in the spirit of that, I have something to tell you. After much soul searching I have come to the conclusion that I am transformer. For me, that means that my gender identity (in this case, male) does not match the biological gender I was assigned at birth (obviously female). This is something I have spent years thinking about this and researching it, and I reached this decision a year ago. I have a really strong feeling of gender dyspepsia, Which is just a fancy way of saying that I am uncomfortable with my gender. For as long as I can remember, every time I see or feel my chest or hips, I get really uncomfortable. I thought it was just because of my weight, but when I became comfortable with my size, the feelings were still there. I talked to other people who are transgender and realized that their feelings were very similar, sometimes even exactly the same, as mine. So I did some more thinking and talked to some of my friends, and eventually I reached this conclusion. It was as if a weight had been lifted off of me. So many things that I had been struggling with made so much more sense: Why I got along better with guys, why I like to wear men's clothes, why I act like a guy most of the time, why I've always felt so uncomfortable in girly tops and dresses and such.

I also fall into the subset of transsexual, Which means that I do eventually want my biological gender to match my gender identity. This just means that in the future I will be taking steps to actually become a male.

As it is really early in the process, I would like to keep this between you and I. It took a lot for me to be able to come out to everyone else myself when I feel the time is right.

I need you to know that this is something I have to do to be happy, and while I understand that this is also really hard for you, I would really like your support. I will try my best to answer any questions you may have as well as I possibly can.

I want you to know also that you haven't done anything wrong. Nothing you or anyone else did made me this way. I was born this way, and there have even been scientific studies to show that there is a biological basis for being transgender. Remember, no matter what, you are my Mom, and I love you, and I will always be your child, no matter my gender. You are not losing a daughter or gaining a son, I am and always will be the same person, just the labels will change. I just hope that you can see that.

Love always,
Your son,
Tristan"

No comments:

Post a Comment