Saturday, October 11, 2014

My Coming Out Letter

So, I decided that, because of how easily my thoughts get jumbled, that it would be a good idea for me to write down what I wanted to say. In doing that, it turned in to a letter, which I decided that I am just going to read to her later this evening. Sadly, I have to wait until then, just in case she has a bad reaction, because my nephews' birthday party is today. My ex-husband, who is still my friend, is very hopefully going to be here when I read the letter, he has been very supportive through all of this, and having a supportive party that my mom is already comfortable with should make it easier for all parties involved. Anyways, here is the letter I wrote:

"Dear Mom,
     Today is National Coming Out Day, and in the spirit of that, I have something to tell you. After much soulsearching, I have come to the conclusion that I am transgender. For me, that means that my gender identity (in this case, male) does not match the biological gender I was assigned at birth (obviously female). I also fall into the subset of transsexual, which means that I eventually want my biological gender to match my gender identity. After I lose the weight I need to lose, I will see a therapist for 6 months to a year, a therapist who will eventually write a recommendation for hormone replacement therapy. I will then see a series of doctors who will prescribe testosterone and other hormones, and who will monitor my hormone levels and health with frequent tests as I transition towards male. After that, I will have top surgery to remove my breast tissue. It is functionally similar to having a double masectomy. Eventually, I will have my name legally changed to the name I have chosen, and my gender marker on all important documents (including my birth certificate) will be changed to male.
     As it is really early in the process, I would like to keep this between you and I. It took a lot for me to be able to come out to you, and I want to be able to come out to everyone else myself when I feel the time is right.
     I need you to know that this is something that I have to do to be happy, and while I understand that this is going to be really hard for you, I would really like your support. I will of course try my best to answer any questions you may have as well as I possibly can.
     I want you to also know that you haven't done anything wrong. Nothing you or anyone else did made me this way. I was born this way, there have even been scientific studies that show there is a biological basis for being transgender. Remember, no matter what, you are my mom, and I love you, and I will always be your child, no matter my gender. I just hope that you can see that.

Love always,
Your son,
Tristan"

So, hopefully this works out for the best. It seems the simplest way to convey everything I need to convey, leave it open for discussion, and preemptively ease her mind about certain things. So, hopefully it goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment